Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Why a Christian Might Choose Teaching Young Children


I was interviewed today and asked a few basic questions about why I went into Family Child Care.  I am sure my answers 20+ years ago would have been much different.  I am on the path of soon "looking back" on the daily job of it all and on my way to "looking forward" to more of a "support staff" role (whatever that will be :)) Here are a few of my thoughts....

1. What do you like best about working in child care? Everyday is different so boredom is rare. I love the growing conversations you can have with children. When I first started doing child care I was really into the art projects and planning but after having a group of younger boys I focus mostly on outdoors and the release of excessive energy!  Unfortunately, children are too often yelled at, put down, ignored, and tolerated at the expense of their self-worth and potential. I always liked "getting to the bottom" of disobedient behavior and giving children the tools to face the world and a path to believing in God. 

2. What challenges do you face working in child care?  I am getting older and running out of stamina.  Also, some of modern parenting has me baffled.  For example, children have their own TVs, DVDs. I-Pads at such an early age and yet seem to lack those basic social skills that I cherish teaching and need parental back-up.

3. Why did you choose to go into the field of child care?  I understand kids - when a child is aggressive or too passive you have to understand where it is coming from and then make a plan to change it.  I think it gives a child the self-worth (not self-esteem) they need when they have self control and are noticed for it.  Self-control, learned as a child, is one of the best tools they can have to enter school and adulthood. Self-control will also lend itself to the ability to look at themselves, find their own faults and change.  That process is the "beginning of wisdom" that comes before knowing Jesus as your Savior.  

My selfish nature wants to think that I can make a difference in the life of a child .... but my heart knows that God has called me to this profession. It is a job, a "career",  and my calling. By the way, it also is the way God shows me my sin.   

No comments:

Post a Comment